ome aspects of the holidays that can be particularly difficult when you are facing any type of mental health challenge include:
- Dealing with unwanted advice from people you hardly know
- Feeling overwhelmed by large numbers of people at gatherings
- Confronting triggers like food, alcohol, and toxic or abusive family members
- Increased anxiety
Whatever you are struggling with during the holiday season, here are some ways to deal with it.
- Come up with a few brief lines ahead of time so you can respond to unwanted comments calmly and neutrally. Try something like, “Just knowing I have your support is helpful.”
- Pick and choose where you’ll go and with whom you’ll spend time.
- Give yourself permission to leave gatherings before you are overwhelmed.
- Regularly practice deep breathing and mindfulness to calm anxiety and stress.
- Give yourself permission to spend time alone, and balance that with tolerable holiday festivities.